Restylane® is the world’s most used, most studied dermal filler, and has been used in over 70 countries and in more than 1.4 million treatments in the U.S. Restylane® – and the newer addition to the Restylane® family of products – Perlane® are injected in much the same fashion as Collagen but do not require a skin test, as no allergic reactions are expected. Results are immediate and natural, and ‘downtime’ is usually only a few hours.
Restylane® and Perlane® are comprised of Hyaluronic Acid, an injectable agent well suited to correct wrinkles, enhance lips or otherwise augment soft tissue. Hyaluronic Acid may be derived from animal sources (rooster comb) or, as in the case of Restylane® and Perlane®, may be laboratory created. Perlane® is primarily the same product as Restylane®, but Perlane® filler contains a larger concentration of hyaluronic acid. Because of this higher concentration of hyaluronic acid, Perlane® is usually used for larger folds, while Restylane® is better suited for smaller wrinkles or to maintain the results of a previous Perlane® injection.
Common uses for Restylane® and Perlane® include:
- Wrinkle correction
- Diminishing worry lines, smile lines, crow’s feet, marionette lines at corners of the mouth, and smoker’s lines
- Lip enhancement
- Reducing the severity of nasolabial folds
- Chin augmentation
- Filling cheek depressions
- Redefining lip border
- Softening acne scars
Other, less common, uses for Restylane® and Perlane® include:
- Filling hollows under the eyes
- Creating a temporary eyebrow lift
- Correcting facial depressions caused by fat loss
- Softening the appearance of jowls